Matrix Seminar: Carbon Markets, Offsetting and Greenwashing
6:00 pm - 8:00 pm
This next seminar in our ESG series will focus on carbon markets.
In light of the growth of greenwashing litigation, the EU’s recent ban on ‘carbon neutral’ product claims, and the loss of confidence in the credibility of the voluntary carbon market, is the era of corporate “offsetting” dead? If so, what role – if any – remains for carbon markets?
Our speakers will explore the future of offsetting and identify the legal risks to companies continuing to rely on “offsetting” claims and the opportunities for litigators.
Chaired by Kate Cook, our Matrix and guest speakers include:
- Jonathan White (Lawyer, Accountable Corporations, ClientEarth)
- Johnny will talk about how ClientEarth sees offsetting, the attendant risks of greenwashing for companies and for environmental outcomes and the related legal and regulatory issues.
- Frank Peters (Partner, Bureau Brandeis)
- Frank will cover FossielVrij’s claim against KLM and how similar claims might be brought by litigators in the UK.
- Toby Fisher
- Toby will focus on the emerging framework for carbon markets under Article 6 of the Paris Agreement and whether it can save the voluntary carbon market and ensure that companies can purchase carbon units with confidence.
Timings include networking drinks after the talks.
For more information and to register for this event, email firstname.lastname@example.org