Our data protection team is recognised as a market leader. Matrix barristers have been at the forefront of the development of this area of the law and have appeared in many of the leading cases.
Matrix barristers provide specialist advice, representation, and training across all areas of data protection law. Our expertise includes:
- Data breaches
- Information sharing agreements
- Representative claims / class actions
- Data protection claims concerning the media.
- Subject access requests
- Right to be forgotten and erasure
- Data Protection Impact Assessments
- Data in the employment setting
- Regulatory investigations
- International and cross-border issues
- Freedom of information
Matrix barristers act for clients ranging from individuals to media organisations, public bodies, regulators, search engine providers, and social media companies. They have been instructed in many of the leading data protection cases, including in the Supreme Court and the Court of Justice of the European Union.
- Aven v Orbis Business Intelligence  EWHC 1812 (QB) (on the processing of inaccurate personal data)
- Elgizouli v Secretary of State for the Home Department  UKSC 10;  2 WLR 857 (transfers to a foreign government of information concerning terrorist suspects)
- Dawson-Damer v Taylor-Wessing LLP  EWCA Civ 352;  Ch 746 (on the meaning of “filing systems” and subject access requests)
- Lloyd v Google LLC  EWCA Civ 1599;  QB 747 (representative claims for breaches of data rights, and damages for the loss of control of personal data)
- Rudd v Bridle  EWHC 893 (QB) (subject access requests)
- NT1 & NT2 v Google LLC  EWHC 799 (QB);  QB 344 (the first trial concerning the right to be forgotten and search engine delisting)
- Stunt v ANL  EWCA Civ 1780;  1 WLR 6060 (application of the journalistic purposes exemption to data protection rights, and pre-publication injunctions in data protection law)
- Vidal-Hall v Google Inc  EWCA Civ 311;  QB 1003 (established that compensation can be awarded for distress arising from breaches of data protection law)
Our barristers also have expertise in data protection and data rights issues arising in the public law sphere; they have been involved in a number of high-profile judicial review cases in this area. More information can be found here.
The (mis)use of personal data often gives rise privacy issues. Matrix barristers are also leaders in the law of privacy – information about this practice area can be found here.