Due to the current Covid-19 crisis, our work experience programme is currently suspended.
Matrix has been running a successful programme of work experience placements since spring 2001. We aim to give students on work placements a taste of work in a modern legal practice and busy office environment.
If you have any general enquiries then please email the work experience coordinator, Zuwaina Nelson email@example.com.
Applications for 2021
Due to the current Covid-19 crisis, our work experience programme is currently suspended and we are not accepting further applications.
Our work experience blog
Each work experience student is encouraged to tell us about their time at Matrix for the benefit of other students. You can read about it here.
The duties students can expect to undertake during a work placement at Matrix include:
- Completing basic legal exercises
- Conducting legal research and writing legal reports
- Learning about the roles of the staff team at Matrix
- Helping to book travel arrangements
- Taking barristers’ papers to court and observing them in action
- Helping to set up events
- Dealing with post
- Other ad hoc administrative duties
Our Work Experience programme is only open to those currently undertaking GCSE’s and/or A-Levels or equivalent.
We take two Work Experience students every other week. In selecting students for work experience, we actively seek to promote access to the profession and equal opportunities for those typically underrepresented at the Bar. Therefore, individuals who meet the following criteria will be prioritised in the application process for one of our two weekly placements:
- Currently undertaking GCSE’s and/or A-Levels or equivalent.
- Would be the first generation in their family to attend university
- Have been in receipt of Free School Meals whilst at secondary school
- Have parent(s)/guardian(s) who qualify for means-tested benefits
- Have been looked after or in care
- Are from a background underrepresented in law such as from an ethnic minority or have a disability/long term health condition
If you believe you meet the above criteria, and wish to be considered for one of these priority placements, please tick the appropriate box in the Application Form.
The second placement will remain accessible to all other students currently undertaking GCSE’s and/or A-Levels or equivalent.
Matrix will reimburse students for some limited expenses during work experience placements as a matter of course. If you would be travelling from another part of the country to attend a placement, or if you have concerns about expenses for any other reason, please speak to us in advance about what we can do to enable you to take part in the scheme. For all questions about work experience expenses, please contact our HR Manager, Lindsay Clarke at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are accepted to complete one of our priority work experience placements (as described above) and you are studying for your A-Levels or equivalent at the time of your placement, you are eligible to apply to our Future Lawyers scheme.
Participants in the Future Lawyers scheme will be matched with a mentor at Matrix and invited to advocacy and networking workshops. Please see the Future Lawyers page for full details.