Brexit and the UK’s Constitution
- Boris Johnson has accused Jeremy Corbyn of planning to ‘rig’ a second referendum by giving EU citizens the vote. Meanwhile, Gove has hit out at Labour plan to let EU citizens vote in second referendum.
- Boris Johnson set out his agenda this week for his first 100 days of a Conservative government and aims for a parliamentary vote on Brexit before Christmas.
The UK’s post- Brexit relationship with the EU
- Brussels is set to push for rapid talks with the UK after Brexit.
- The EU has warned that Boris Johnson has ‘limited’ time to avoid no-deal Brexit if he wins the general election. Meanwhile, Tusk has stated this week that Brexit is one of the most spectacular mistakes in EU history.
- Sajid Javid has refused to rule out a no-deal Brexit as he reiterated the Conservatives’ plans to bring the UK out of the EU in March 2020.
Brexit’s Impact on the Economy
- UK house prices rebounded in November despite continued uncertainty around the outcome of Brexit and the upcoming general election, according to Britain’s biggest mortgage lender.
- Investors pulled almost £3bn out of UK property funds over the past year, highlighting the toll that extended Brexit uncertainty and high street gloom have had on the sector.