Articles and Downloads
Brexit round up- Week Commencing 7 October 2019
Matrix’s Legal Support Service provides a round-up of Brexit-related links and news.
Brexit and the UK constitution
- The DUP will never accept a Brexit deal that sees Northern Ireland signed up to different customs rules to the rest of the United Kingdom, Arlene Foster has warned Boris Johnson. The UK government has since suggested placing customs checks away from the Irish border as a way of breaking the Brexit deadlock. However, reports say that Boris Johnson’s hopes of securing a new Brexit deal have diminished after the DUP launched a furious attack on Ireland’s response to the Prime Minister’s latest offer.
The UK’s post-Brexit deal with the EU
- On Wednesday, Boris Johnson presented the UK’s final Brexit offer to the EU. The EU Parliament, Irish government and European Commission have all said the UK’s offer does not go far enough. Meanwhile, UK Brexit negotiator David Frost was told on Friday that the EU would “not engage” with the UK’s alternative backstop plans or enter a negotiating “tunnel” without major surgery to the government’s confidential 40-page paper.
- Boris Johnson will ask the EU for an Brexit delay if he fails to get a deal within the next two weeks, government documents have confirmed.
- Boris Johnson is scrapping a commitment made by Theresa May to stick to EU rules on workers’ rights, safety standards and the environment, according to reports.
The Impact of Brexit on the UK Economy
- The Telegraph has reported that uncertainty over Brexit has cut business investment by around 11pc over the three years following the referendum – equivalent to a £20bn hit to the UK economy, according to research.