The UK’s post- Brexit deal with the EU
- Brussels has hit back at claims the EU is unprepared to cope with the fallout of a no-deal Brexit . The EU is ‘protected’ from no-deal Brexit,‘ Brussels insists .
- Boris Johnson has been branded the DUP’s “gopher” by Sinn Fein as the party warned that a no-deal Brexit could lead to a border poll in Northern Ireland.
- Boris Johnson has “absolutely” ruled out a general election before the latest Brexit deadline of 31 October.
- Boris Johnson and Donald Trump have agreed to start post-Brexit trade talks “as soon as possible” in their first call since Mr Johnson became Prime Minister.
- Ruth Davidson has delivered a defiant message to Boris Johnson by saying she “won’t support” a no deal Brexit as Scottish Conservative leader.
- UK is less able to cope with hard Brexit than it was in spring, say officials. Analysis includes stark assessments of potential problems including panic-buying and civil disorder.
Impact of Brexit on the Economy
- Brexit uncertainty spurs Bank of England to cut UK growth forecasts. Policymakers hold rates steady but see 1 in 3 chance of economy shrinking in early 2020.
- Meanwhile the pound slumped to a 28-month low yesterday amid fears of a no-deal Brexit. The Guardian’s Richard Partington, Rob Davies and Rowena Mason have more.
Impact of Brexit on the Legal Profession
- Legal sector faces £3.5bn hit from no-deal Brexit, says Law Society. Disorderly exit could curb lawyers’ access to European market and imperil 10,000 jobs