Brexit and the UK constitution
- Splits within the Conservatives and Labour have erupted over calls for a general election before Christmas.
The UK’s post-Brexit deal with the EU
- Earlier this week, MPs reacted angrily after being told they will have just three days to scrutinise the landmark legislation delivering Brexit.
- Boris Johnson’s Brexit deal cleared its first parliamentary hurdle this week after MPs backed its general principles but Boris Johnson has “paused” his Brexit bill after MPs blocked his attempts to rush it through the Commons in time for the UK to leave the EU on 31 October.
- Boris Johnson is facing fresh legal showdown over Brexit delay letters as Scotland’s highest court will consider whether Boris Johnson has fully complied with a law ordering him to ask the European Union for a Brexit delay.
- Emmanuel Macron has broken ranks with EU leaders to push for two-week Brexit extension.
Impact of Brexit on the economy
- Sajid Javid has vowed to press ahead with a Budget next month despite the ongoing deadlock in Parliament over Brexit. Meanwhile, he’s been accused of “flying blind” after rejecting calls to publish a full economic assessment of the Government’s Brexit deal.