Articles and Downloads
Brexit round up- Week commencing 27 January 2020
Brexit and the UK’s Constitution
- Boris Johnson will usher in Britain’s exit from the European Union with a light show at Number 10 amid a row over Brexiteers’ demands for Big Ben to bong instead.
- Boris Johnson suffered a major blow this week after peers inflicted three defeats on the Government’s flagship Brexit Bill.
- A sombre Ursula von der Leyen and Charles Michel, the leaders of the European commission and council, have formally signed the withdrawal agreement as Brussels prepares for the UK’s exit from the EU in seven days’ time.
The UK’s Post-Brexit Relationship with the EU
- Sajid Javid has warned British businesses there will be “no alignment” with the EU after Brexit, adding that firms must “adjust” to new regulations.
- British business leaders have urged Boris Johnson to spell out his plans for post-Brexit trade talks with the European Union. Meanwhile, bosses have urged Boris Johnson to give them ‘certainty’ and spell out plans for post-Brexit trade talks with Brussels.
- Guy Verhofstadt has suggested that the UK could rejoin the EU in the next few decades as young voters will demand it.