Articles and Downloads
Brexit round up- Week commencing 23 December 2019
Brexit and the UK Constitution
- MPs are set to pass the withdrawal agreement bill.
- The Queen’s Speech will focus on Brexit and public services.
- More than 50 MPs have launched a campaign to get Big Ben to chime as Britain leaves the European Union on 31 January.
The UK’s post-Brexit relationship with the EU
- Brussels warns the UK will suffer more from lack of EU trade deal. Teresa May’s former Brexit aide has said that Johnson can bag an EU trade deal by 2020 if he avoids Teresa May’s mistakes.
- The Liberal Democrats’ policy of revoking Article 50 and cancelling Brexit was not “realistic”, Sir Ed Davey has admitted.
- Leading Remain supporter Lord Heseltine has dismissed the prospect of campaigners “fighting on” to stay in the EU after Boris Johnson’s election victory.
- Ursula von der Leyen has warned that a cliff-edge Brexit at the end of 2020 will hurt the UK more than the EU.
Brexit as it impacts Matrix Practice areas
- Boris Johnson will insert a clause in the UK’s Brexit divorce bill that will give British judges in lower courts the power to overturn decisions from the ECJ.