Articles and Downloads
Brexit round up- Week commencing 21 October 2019
Matrix’s Legal Support Service provides a round-up of Brexit-related links and news.
Brexit and the UK Constitution
- Scotland’s highest court is to hear a fresh challenge from anti-Brexit campaigners as they seek to have Boris Johnson’s agreed deal with the EU declared unlawful.
The UK’s post-Brexit deal with the EU
- Boris Johnson has announced Brexit done deal despite DUP objections to new agreement. Downing Street is set to launch a charm offensive as it attempts to win Parliament’s backing for Boris Johnson’s new Brexit deal but Angela Merkel has told EU leaders a Brexit extension would be unavoidable if British MPs vote down the deal agreed with Boris Johnson.
- This week Sajid Javid rejected calls by MPs to publish an economic impact assessment of Boris Johnson’s new Brexit deal before they vote on it.
- Meanwhile, the Liberal Democrats have launched a fresh attempt to secure a second Brexit referendum on any deal that Boris Johnson strikes with the European Union.
Brexit’s impact on the economy
- Britain is on course to sacrifice as much as £130bn in lost GDP growth over the next 15 years if the Brexit deal goes ahead, according to government figures.