Brexit and the UK Constitution
- Opinion polls show Prime Minister Boris Johnson’s Conservatives with a healthy advantage over the opposition Labour party. At this early stage of the campaign, it averages about 8 percentage points.
- Three parties strongly committed to Britain remaining in the EU — the Liberal Democrats, Greens and Plaid Cymru — have today announced a pact to maximise their chances of winning seats at the general election.
- Labour’s membership is on course to hit half a million again following a surge in applications after the general election was called. Meanwhile, Tom Watson has announced he is to quit Parliament and as Labour’s deputy leader at the general election.
- John Bercow has said that Brexit is the UK’s ‘biggest blunder’ in 70 years.
Britain’s post-Brexit relationship with the EU
- The EU has said it did not amend Theresa May’s Brexit deal for Boris Johnson and only ‘clarified’ it. The Independent has more.
- Boris Johnson has said that single market access after Brexit is a ‘great deal’ for Northern Ireland.