Articles and Downloads
Brexit round- up- Week commencing 10 February 2020
This is the last Brexit round-up update. Thanks for following Matrix’s coverage of Brexit developments.
Brexit and the UK’s Constitution
- Boris Johnson heralded “a new chapter in our nation’s history” after signing the official document which formalised the UK’s exit from the EU. Boris Johnson said Britain had “taken back the tools of self-government” as Britain formally left the European Union after 47 years.
- Brexit Secretary, Stephen Barclay has said that Britain won’t diverge from EU standards ‘for the sake of it’ after Brexit.
- Boris Johnson has promised that Britain will be open to the world’s “most talented” minds after Brexit as he unveiled a new fast-track visa scheme for scientists, mathematicians and researchers.
The UK’s post- Brexit relationship with the EU
- Boris Johnson has ruled out accepting EU rules in exchange for post-Brexit trade deal.
- The European Union will have the upper hand in post-Brexit talks with Britain, Taoiseach Leo Varadkar has claimed. Meanwhile, it has been claimed that the UK needs to be prepared to exploit the extraordinary benefits of global free trade.
- Keir Starmer has called for EU nationals living in the UK to be granted full voting rights in future elections.
- The UK in a changing Europe – Brexit what next?
- Behind the rhetorical flourishes, Britain and the EU are gearing up for a major tussle over a post-Brexit trade deal. What are Britain and the EU going to row about now that Brexit is ‘done’?