Fraud, Financial and Business Crime
Our criminal law team has a superb reputation in all aspects of business crime, with extensive experience of acting for both individuals and corporates. Members are in demand for both heavyweight trial and appellate work as well as during the critical investigatory stages.
The team has a wealth of jury trial experience in key business crime areas: including corporate criminal liability, insider dealing, cross-border corruption, cartels, money laundering and criminal fraud of many types. The team is instructed by a wide range of bodies and persons: multinational corporations, private equity groups, banks, traders, directors, senior business executives, City firms, regulators, prosecuting authorities, professional bodies, government departments and foreign governments.
The team has extensive experience of major cross-border work with frequent involvement in multi-jurisdictional investigations, extradition, sanctions and Interpol Notices. The team has experience of criminal cases originating from many diverse jurisdictions: including the USA, Hong Kong, Russia, the Middle East and the Caribbean. From challenging search warrants and production orders, through to asset restraint, to managing investigation cooperation strategies, the team’s multi-faceted specialisms make it uniquely placed to provide comprehensive pre-charge advice to corporate and individual clients to minimise potential criminal exposure. The Matrix Integrity+ initiative can provide a one-stop shop for advice, advocacy and consultancy assistance in a range of criminal and criminal-related settings.
Members of the team have an unparalleled range of supplementary skills to support their criminal expertise: reputation management; civil fraud actions in tandem with criminal investigations; financial services, regulatory and other disciplinary sanctions; extradition and mutual legal assistance.
The team has also been involved in many public law challenges in the criminal law context, from judicial review to habeas corpus. The team possesses some of the country’s most renowned practitioners in the fields of extradition and challenges to prosecutorial and police powers.
Members contribute to leading textbooks on criminal fraud, extradition and the proceeds of crime. Members of the team also appear regularly in the media to comment upon and shape the development of the law.
Members of the team have excellent directories rankings in business crime (corporate and individual), proceeds of crime, investigations and extradition.
- Representing corporates and individuals in many of the major recent SFO investigations including: Alstom, Barclays, ENRC, Euribor, LIBOR, Rolls Royce and Tesco.
- Advising a number of FTSE 100 companies on strategy and compliance.
- Acting in a number of major fraud-related extradition cases including: Vijay Mallya; Credit Suisse Mozambique; HSBC-Cairn plc.
- Representing Robert and Vincent Tchenguiz in their judicial review and damages claims against the Serious Fraud Office in the fraud investigation arising from the collapse of the Icelandic bank Kaupthing.
- Advising and representing Yukos Oil, its majority shareholders, and the business magnates Mikhail Khodorkovsky and Leonid Nevzlin in relation to Russian Federation action against Yukos and in the damages claim to the ECHR.
- Representing a number of prominent businessmen and politicians in Hong Kong.