Raj Parker is an associate member of Matrix and prior to joining was a solicitor at Freshfields for over 30 years, 23 as a Partner. He specialises in general commercial and financial services dispute resolution, international regulatory investigations, and sports law. He has handled contentious and regulatory issues in the insurance, banking, pharmaceuticals, air traffic, leisure, diamond, energy, transport, reconstruction and insolvency, sport and media sectors. He also specialises in corporate criminal investigations and white collar crime issues and is a member of the Governance, Investigations and Solutions – Matrix Integrity + team.
Raj has handled many contentious issues arising out of the Air Traffic, Banking and Insurance, Private Equity, Leisure, Diamond, Oil and Gas, Transport, Sport and Media Sectors.
- Raj’s work in the Sports sector has included acting for the Football Association for in advisory and contentious work, including the Hillsborough proceedings (1989-1995), establishing FA Premier League (1991/2) and various disciplinary and other matters for premier league and football league clubs, and participating in working parties which reported on financial irregularities, betting and compliance issues ;chaired the FA panel on Wimbledon FC’s move to Milton Keynes May 2002;football clubs and NGO’s in relation to safeguarding and sexual abuse issues; for Kuwait Sporting Club involving many football related issues;
- for the IAAF concerning governance review commissioned by Lord Coe and as an arbitrator in disciplinary cases; for BAT ,the Basketball Arbitral Tribunal ,since 2006, he has conducted over 100 arbitrations covering disputes between players, agents and clubs; for UCI (Union Cycliste International) in connection with the Truth and Reconciliation Commission into doping in professional cycling, arising out of the USADA 2012 proceedings against Lance Armstrong ;extensive involvement for LOCOG 2012 and in arbitrations before CAS including Association Football, Show Jumping, Cycling, Gymnastics, Water Polo, Formula 1, Ten Pin Bowling, Ice Hockey and Rugby; for Qatar 2022 Bid Committee concerning the FIFA World Cup and corruption allegations; appointed by the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI)and the ICC as sole arbitrator in relation to sponsorship issues concerning the 2003 Cricket World Cup arbitrator and in relation to ICC decision not to hold cricket world cup in Pakistan (2009); appointed by RFU in relation to the future structure of Rugby Union; and for LTA (Lawn Tennis Association) relating to the sale of Queens Club.
Fraud, Financial and Business Crime
He has experience of fraud, bribery, corruption, money laundering and related issues arising in many sectors including:
- Financial Institutions;
- Reconstruction and insolvency; and
He specialises in particular in global investigations with a white collar crime element and the coordination of regulatory proceedings arising in multiple jurisdictions.
He has particular experience of US, European, and Asian criminal enforcements regulators and applicable laws.
He is also available to act as an Expert Witness and a Monitor.
Independent Investigations, Reviews and Reports
He specialises in general commercial dispute issues, with particular experience in financial services ,international regulatory investigations, and sports areas. He is also experienced in white collar crime matters.
He has been appointed as an Independent Reviewer in relation to regulatory matters and as an Expert Witness in relation to contentious commercial matters.
Qualifications and Education
- Grand Court Judge of the Cayman Islands for service in the Financial Services Division(part-time)
- Former Recorder of the Crown Court
- Accredited CEDR (Centre for Dispute Resolution) Mediator
- Arbitrator at The London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA)
- Arbitrator at the Court of Innovative Arbitration
- Public Access registered
- Panel member of ARIAS (UK)
- Vice President of the Basketball Arbitration Tribunal (BAT), an independent tribunal recognised by FIBA
- Former Arbitrator at the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) Lausanne, London
- Member of Sport Resolutions’ panel of arbitrators and mediators
- Member of the IAAF Disciplinary Tribunal
- Member of the FA Judicial Panel
Raj is regulated by the Bar Standards Board and accepts instructions under Standard Contractual Terms, details of which can be found here.
Raj is committed to protecting and respecting your privacy. In order to provide legal services to his clients, including advice and representation services, Raj needs to collect and hold personal data. This includes his client’s personal data and the personal data of others who feature in the matter upon which he is instructed. To read Raj’s privacy notice in full, please see here.